Saturday, July 19, 2008

Week 9 - Thing 20

Youtube. This is one of the tools in this class I am most familiar with I guess. My kids, those in my class and those at home, always want me to look at this or that video and have done so forever. Sure there's a lot of junk out there but if students really want to be creative, they can post video online for others to see.

There are many people and kids too who have taken some idea and enhanced it one way or the other and all of a sudden hundreds, thousands and even millions of people have seen it. So too it was with the original Numa video which, according to a BBC article dated November 27, 2006, has been seen over 700,000,000 times worldwide.

Not that that particular video is or was one of my favorites, I like to mention it because one could argue that this was one of the videos that made youtube so popular. I had seen it many times before in emails, blogs and forums etc but when it became available on youtube, this thing just exploded. I remember then wanting to buy stock in YouTube when they became an IPO. I kick my self now!

With respect to the classroom, I had students do a video project last year but my instructions were not clear enough. Whereas I did have the permission of most all students' parents for their children to participate in the project, there were too few who actually took it seriously and came up with a decent project. This year I would definitely have better rules and guidelines for the students to follow. I also have more examples of thing which could be done. See the video below :)



No comments: