Saturday, July 19, 2008

Week 9 - Thing 21

Podcasts:

I totally understand the concept of podcasting; how it works, what it does, who uses it etc. I get it, yet I don't get it. I don't see how podcasting would make my life easier, I don't see how I can use podcasting in my classroom.

I looked at some of the examples given and then looked at the definition of podcasting and invariably thought yeah this is cool, but it's not podcasting.

Maybe I am wrong. Here's an example from SLL: Create a tour of the school for new students. This is an excellent job for an activities / leadership class.

I looked at that and then thought, why would I make an audio tour when I, with the same, less even, effort could make a video and post it on youtube?

Currently I post my class notes online. For now, they're pretty much my lesson plans but they indeed help students who missed a class to go back and see what happened that day. I would like to have students "listen" to that but with algebra or mathematics this is pretty hard. A video accompanied with sound of me explaining a concepts would be much more useful right?

So while I get podcasting and that it is small audio files transferred to your listening device through your aggregator, I don't get how I could use it in class.

Perhaps someone could enlighten me.

Please note that I understand and use PodCasts for music files from a recipients perspective.

No comments: