Monday, July 21, 2008

OMG! I totally forgot to mention this to all of you!

As you may know, I have students send most of their projects to me in email format.

I think I totally forgot to mention why I have them do this. No, it is not easier to read, nor is it easier to grade or anything. No the primary reason I have them send it to me is so I can check for plagiarism.

With todays technology, students easily cut and paste, change a few words here and there, perhaps change a few sentences around and present it as their own.

Well, as soon as I gave them a writing assignment and also gave them the sites on which they should look for information, I knew there were going to be some students who would use the cut, copy, change technique. Enter www.plagiarismdetect.com . This is the easiest website to check for plagiarism and it is totally free. What you do is you sign up, select a text that someone has submitted to you via email (this is key) copy and paste it in this website, hit the button and voila, it'll tell you exactly what is copied etc. It gives you a percentage too. There are 2 modes, one which does a cursory glance and one which does a more indepth search.

Give it a try. it's free!

2 comments:

Mrs. Logan said...

This is such a great website. I am so glad that not only you mentioned the plagiarism website, but you linked to it as well. It is a necessary one for all teachers and students. Students should maybe have to submit their own papers and attach the findings. It is a great way for them to learn about the importance of authenticity and the seriousness of plagiarism.

By the by, a fabulous job on all of your entries here. I have been perusing your blog and have found your insights and reflections helpful to the creation of my own!

Anonymous said...

I just returned from Europe and am catching up on my "cheerleading" duties! Glad you are all done, and you did a fantastic job. I agree that someone (like you) who is pretty tech-savvy might not find the 23 Things all that earth-shattering, but it's great that you were able to earn some credits. Have a great summer!