Saturday, July 19, 2008

Week 9 - Thing 23

Yay Last Thing!

I must say I was a little weary about this and decided I would do this to learn about one or two things that could be of interest. Initially, I wasn't going to take this course for credit and already regretted taking on yet one more thing. Hadn't I learned in the Navy that Navy means "Never Again Volunteer Yourself?" Hah! But then I found out I was 2 units shy of the next pay scale and knowing that 1 class at csun would run around $1000 and this one was $200, the math was easy.

So I started doing this thing and to my surprise, I actually learned stuff. How arrogant can one get to think one knows it all?

There are many little things that I learned, many things I knew but had forgotten or dismissed and also a lot of stuff I knew existed but had never used or bothered to look at for fear it I would be obliged to use it.

1) For me the most exiting find was the Zoho suite of programs. My students will now be able to send me math questions without problems.

2) I think SLL 2.0 is an excellent way for people who are not as computer literate (note I didn't say computer illiterate:) as others to quickly get a feel of what is out there.

3) There weren't that many surprises or take aways for me although I thoroughly enjoyed this course.

4) If there was something that could be changed in this program it would probably be this: Initially, I felt there was an awful lot of stuff to do, see and link to etc. If I felt that, I am sure people who are not are tech-savvy as me would have some issues. It takes some education and time to weed out the real information from the garbage information. Perhaps this course should be divided in two parts. The first part is to get to know all the stuff and the second part would be about libraries. Then I would definitely see others take this course. The library stuff, while interesting didn't really apply to me.

5) I found the discovery interesting and diverse and if given the opportunity would probably participate.

6) Interesting and novel approach of getting teachers interested in how students are already using the web.

No comments: